IUSD ATHLETICS PHILOSOPHY
Our mission is to enrich the mental, physical, and emotional well-being of all students by
providing competitive opportunities in which the lifelong values of sportsmanship, individual
effort, teamwork, integrity, and commitment are emphasized.
● We believe the dignity, worth, and self-esteem of participants should be paramount in all
● We believe the most important result of competition is the development of life-long
values and skills.
● We believe high school athletics should be fun and rewarding.
● We believe athletic programs are most beneficial when they are competitive.
● We believe winning is an attitude resulting from optimum preparation, concentrated effort
and a deep commitment to excel.
● We believe well-designed athletic programs promote community and school pride.
● We believe open communication and mutual respect among coaches, parents, and
athletes provide the foundation of a successful athletic program.
● We believe positive parent support and involvement enhance student growth and
● We believe that involvement in athletics is a privilege not a right and accompanying that
privilege is the responsibility to conform to standards set by the district, school, athletic
PORTOLA ATHLETICS MISSION
The Portola High School Athletic Department strives to foster a competitive environment,
while working to instill the PHS Bulldog P.R.I.D.E. values of Perseverance, Respect,
Integrity, Drive, and Empathy within student-athletes. Committed to building an
enriching team atmosphere, Bulldog student-athletes and coaches are expected to
conduct themselves in accordance with CIF policy on sportsmanship in high school
athletics, while serving as positive ambassadors for their respective sport and
community both inside and out of the athletic arena. It is this emphasis on character first
that is the staple of our athletic department, which has provided the direction for our
active pursuit to grow programs with a strong tradition of excellence.